Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Back to the old grind...

It's school time again. And this time it is colder than ever. Nothing like walking to class at 8a.m. in 1 ft. of snow with the canyon winds beating on your face. That my friends is a Logan winter. Gotta love it. Maybe not....

This semester I am in 5 classes. For those of you who care they are the following:
Textile Science
Country Swing (Should be re-named, self conscious hour)
The Science of Food Preparation
Methods and Clinicals 1
Multicultural Foundations

Ill give you the gist of what these classes are-
Textile science is pretty much what makes up fabrics and such. We have a lab for this class which consists of burning different material to guess if it is man made or natural or what not.

Country swing....if you cant figure this out by the name you are silly. Its a dance class that is signed up for on a whim and feel completely ridiculous in but I hope as the semester continues it will get better.

Science of food prep- the chemistry behind our foods. This also has a lab where we get to pretend to be food scientists. We get to ruin cookies and figures things out like how to make a perfect flaky pie crust without using any kind of shortening. Woo! Ha ha.

Methods and Clinicals- Wow, after all these years being a teaching major here comes a class where I acutally get to learn HOW to teach. I also have to sign up for a clinical which is where I go out to a real classroom and observe and teach a mini lesson and such. I am thinking of going somewhere in SLC and doing it over my spring break to get it out of the way and that way I get to consistently observe. This was exciting/scary news! I am getting closer!!!

Multicultural Foundations- this is where we learn how to teach students from different backgrounds and ethnicities and diversity. All I know is that for an hour and fifteen minutes today we all introduced ourselves and I was bored out of my mind. So needless to say im 'excited' for this one. :)

Well there you have my life for the next 4 months. Its going to be a harder semester but it will be good and im excited. Its alway fun to have a new environment. Oh- BONUS there are actually males in my classes this semester. I am used to my sewing and other methods classes where I never see them, but low and behold they exist!! Even in the family life building. I was excited. Except now I have to get ready for class....

Well, I hope everyone else enjoyed their holiday as much as I did!

5 comments:

erinmalia said...

those classes just seem really fun to me. especially the burning fabrics. but i think i could have really enjoyed your major! wanna switch?!

Nicole said...

Thanks for the update here. I took textiles and I remember burning things, fun stuff! And if you want, I actually have my big fat binder full of all that lovely info if you ever need any of it. And boys in your classes! What more could you want?!!

Niederfam said...

I'm totallu surprised by burning things, but it does bring out the pyro in me!!! Nice to hear there are Males in your classes too, hmmm...sorry you now "have" to get ready! Thanks for the update and I wish you a HAPPY semester....PS take lots of notes in your "how to teach" classes, you'll want them later FOR SURE!!!!

emily said...

so fun emily to read your blog and see what you're up to! i started to get real jealous of the classes and fun life that you have - but then i realized, hey, i get to ruin foods every day, too. :) lovely.

Chad and Lacy Johnson said...

Emily! I'm glad you found my blog. I haven't quite gotten in how I want it yet so that's why I haven't told anyone about it.... I haven't had the time to play around with it... yes we do need to do lunch next time you're down! Give me a call!!!