Thursday, November 13, 2008

"So"

Yesterday, I had two presentations. I only have two classes on MWF but somehow luck got the best of me and I got both of them scheduled on the same day. When I say luck, I mean bad luck. I was not happy about having two presentations.

They both went very well and I got great feedback from my Professors. I felt very good about how they went and the time it took to present, etc.

In each of these classes, the other students were given rubrics to grade us on and to give us feedback. Most were positive and several people asked how to embed a youtube video into their powerpoints- I felt pretty cool about that. "I know something you don't know." Ha ha ha. Ok, so I really didn't say that. And don't worry, I did share with them how to do it.

On one of the rubrics, this was listed at the bottom. "Emily said 'SO' like 84 times...you should work on that. But she was very excited and presented well."

Ha ha ha ha ha!! Well, gee, thanks! In fact, I am POSITIVE that I probably did.

The problem with this was that I had my next presentation and I was very self conscious about doing it again.

My other favorite comment was "Mr. Holland's Opus.....come on...really?" As part of our presentation we had the students watch a clip from Mr. Holland's Opus. Our presentation was on student motivation and there was a clip in there that we thought applied very well and demonstrated what a good and caring teacher should do. In fact, our professor raved about it and talked about how wonderful and applicable it was.

It is not so much that I am offended by your comment but this is how I feel- "Dude! We all have to present in this class and we all grade each other, don't you know the code? Everyone is nice and everyone should give everyone full points!! Come on!"

Now, the constructive critiscism is great and we do need it since we will be teaching next semester in front of people everyday. But marking me down because you didn't like our movie? Low. You are not my 8th grade student being mean to me. You are my fellow colleague. Lets all get along.

Thanks.

"So."

5 comments:

Niederfam said...

Yes, Em, you are FUNNY. And I know, stick with the unwritten rules here CLASS!!! Seriously DUDE. Too funny. And don't forget about finding me some English curriculum will ya????? Bless you.

Nicole said...

Really, people! I am amazed that people don't get that--hello!! Oh well. It's like they think they'll get a better grade than you or something. Anyway, glad they went well.

Amy said...

Ok, so let me tell you about my supervisor for my student teaching. She counted the number of times I said "ok" and "so". I said "so" 44 times in one 40 minute class period. It has made me so self conscious of saying it.

Shauna said...

Everyone has those things that they say over and over again without meaning to. That girl needs to get over herself. And I totally know what you mean about the unwritten rule. It always bugged me in my accounting/business classes because everyone is so competitive, it's like that rule doesn't exist!

Zack said...

Retarded. . .
I hate stupid people!